Julie Young, Head Coach/Director
Julie Young spent 12 years cycling as a top U.S. pro for Kahlua, Saturn, Timex and Autotrader, as well as racing in Italy for Team Fannini, while concurrently competing internationally for the U.S. National Team. Her resume includes general classification victories at the Tour de L’Aude title (women’s equivalent to the Tour de France) and Tour d’Aquitaine as well as numerous European stage wins and podium finishes – she was considered one of America’s most dominant European stage racers of her era.
As a coach…
During her extensive race career she worked with leading physiologists and coaches including Chris Carmichael, Mirek Mazur, Harvey Nitz and Dr. Massimo Testa exposing her to a variety of training philosophies. Through her insights of competing at a world-class level – Julie gained firsthand knowledge that scientific training programs combining individualized workouts, nutrition, motivation and race tactics produce winning results.
Having transitioned from cycling to Nordic ski racing for Rossignol, as well as summer trail running and Xterra races, Julie has the range of athletic experiences and scope of training to create innovatively tailored, scientifically-based workout plans.
Coaching Specialties – Cycling (road, mountain), Trail Running, Tri-athlon, and Nordic Ski Conditioning
Certifications – USA Cycling Certified Coach; Athletes Peformance -Performance Training Mentorship; Specialized Body Geometry Bike Fit Certified Technician
Education – UCLA, B.A. Political Science/International Relations
- Six-time Cycling World Championship Team Member
- Olympic alternate 1992
- Pan American Games 1994
- Core States Pro Championships, 2nd, 1st American, 1994
- Winner Downer’s Grove Pro Criterium, 2001
- Overall General Classification winner of the Tour de L’Aude, France – women’s equivalent of Tour de France, 1992
- Overall General Classification winner Tour d’Aquitaine, France, 1998
- Stage wins and podium finishes at Tour de L’Aude, Tour d’Aquitaine, Tour of the European Economic Community, Molenheike, Tour d’Epinal and Grand Prix de Quebec
- Pro teams included AutoTrader.com, Timex, Fanini, Saturn and Kahlua, concurrently representing the U.S. National Team
- Winner Tahoe 100k mountain bike race, 2011
- Winner Xterra Tahoe City, 2010, 2011
- Winner Xterra Lake Tahoe 2011
- Winner Tahoe Rim Trail 50K, 3rd overall, 2010
- UCLA Golf Team, NCAA Academic All-America